Good Morning everybody!! I’ve been staring at my laptop for 5 minutes without moving or thinking, I NEED COFFEE, but I have to wait half an hour to drink or eat anything, thank you thyroid medicine! I think I’ve never told you but I have Hypothyroidism, boo! It’s controlled but every now and then the doses I’ve been taking for months don’t work anymore and that’s when the problems start. If you have Hypothyroidism you know what I mean, weight gain, fatigue, and so many others symptoms. It kind of sucks but I’ve learned to live with it, I feel so blessed with my life in general that this little hiccup doesn’t bring me down.
Lets talk about how avocado and bacon RULES!! Yesterday I made a little experiment in my kitchen and prayed for good results (or dinner would be ruined!) We like to eat healthy at my home but I’m getting tired of eating the same salads over and over again, so I took a risk and…. my husband loved it!!!
I’m always trying new recipes, some of them are wins, some are terrible fails. Once I made a chicken that was so bad, we had to throw it and buy Chipotle for dinner, have you had bad cooking days too? This Avocado, zucchini, sweet corn and sun-dried tomato Salad with bacon (I know it’s a long name) was a hit in my home, I hope it will be a success in yours too!!
Start by heating a pan over medium high and brown two chopped strips of bacon. Once the bacon is cooked, remove to a paper-towel lined plate to drain, leaving the grease in the pan.
Remove everything but 1 teaspoon of grease from the pan, and add 8 oz. of sweet corn, season with salt and pepper.
When the sweet corn is ready, about 3 minutes, add 1 chopped zucchini, 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil and more salt and pepper, saute for a couple of minutes and remove from heat.
Let it sit for 5 minutes, then add the bacon, 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro and 1 avocado cut in cubes. Mix and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Serve with julianne cut sun-dried tomatoes on top. I served my salad with a Honey-Mustard chicken that I found on Pinterest (from Simply Recipes), perfect match! Click here for the recipe.
Well, It’s finally time to eat!! I made cookies yesterday so I was looking forward to have them for breakfast. I hope you like my recipes, let me know if you have any advice or request. Have a great “almost Friday” day, here it’s gonna be cloudy, but at least it isn’t freezing. See you soon!!
Avocado, Zucchini, Sweet Corn & Sun-dried tomato Salad with bacon
- 2 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 8 oz. of sweet corn
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 oz. of julianne cut sun-dried tomato.
- Brown bacon in a pan, over medium heat and remove to a paper-towel lined plate to drain, leaving bacon grease in the pan.
- Remove all but 1 teaspoon of bacon grease from the pan, and add 8 oz. of sweet corn, season with some salt and pepper.
- When the sweet corn is ready, about 3 minutes, add 1 chopped zucchini, 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil and more salt and pepper, saute for a couple of minutes and remove from heat.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes, then add the bacon pieces, 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro and 1 avocado cut in cubes. Adjust salt and pepper if needed. Serve with julianne cut sun-dried tomatoes on top.